The role of Covenant Day School’s library is to enrich the intellectual life of the school. The mission of the library program is to help students excel in an academic environment and to become life-long learners by fostering a love of reading and promoting the effective use of information. This mission is accomplished by:
- Stimulating interest in reading by providing a nurturing environment in which students can successfully seek information and ideas for their educational, informational, and recreational needs
- Providing instruction in information literacy
- Providing relevant information resources to meet the needs of the school community which include a wide selection of books, ebooks, newspapers, magazines, DVDs, audio books, subscription databases, and the Internet
- Promoting the use of the library by students and faculty
- Working with teachers to develop educational strategies to meet the information needs of students and to augment teaching
- Supporting the school’s curriculum and reading initiative
In addition, from our parent portal (the LionsWeb), parents and students can access numerous library resources, including an online reference desk, research guides and databases, CDS library catalog, and access to the Charlotte Mecklenburg Public Library ONE Access website for grades 5-12. Students in grades JK-4 attend a library special each week and students in grades 1-8 can participate in the Readers Are Leaders program.
Readers are Leaders Program
The CDS Library offers a special voluntary reading program called Readers are Leaders as an incentive to encourage reading in our lower and middle school students. We recognize that finding appropriate materials in today’s culture is challenging, so our librarians provide a list of outstanding, age-appropriate books that convey wholesome values and feature uplifting characters that inspire students toward positive goals. Books are chosen carefully to allow our students to apply a biblical worldview to current topics. The program is divided into four lists: Lamb (grades 1-2), Lion (grades 3-4), Lantern (grades 5-6), and Lighthouse (grades 6-8). The Lamb’s List books are read to kindergarten classes, and they vote on their favorite book at the end of the program. Click below for information on the 2023-2024 book lists!